How to Fix iPhone/iPad Won’t Backup to iCloud
iCloud backup failed? Looking for ways to solve the iPhone won’t backup to iCloud issue? Here are some quick fixes.
Read this guide in other languages: Français
Question: “I’ve been having issues with backing up to iCloud. I plug my device into a power source then go to my settings iCloud back up, then check on backup. It does its thing for a few seconds then I lock my phone then when I unlock my phone and check, it says “couldn’t be backed up”.
— A User from iMore Forums
It is a well-known fact for every iPhone user that Apple provides you two common ways for backing up an iDevice: with iTunes or iCloud. This usually goes off without a hitch, but unexpected things happen somewhile. We have talked about how to solve the iPhone won’t backup to iTunes issue, in this post, we are going to help you fix the iPhone backup problem with iCloud.
Part 1. Potential Solutions to Fix the iPhone Won’t Backup to iCloud Issue
Firstly, check iCloud storage and make sure you have enough iCloud storage for backup (5 GB for free). Go to Settings > Your name > iCloud to have a check.
- Reset Network Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings. Your iPhone will reset all network settings. Connect to the Wi-Fi again to backup again. If your iPhone iPad is stuck on some Wi-Fi issues, please check this most common iPhone iPad Wi-Fi problems and solutions to fix them.
- Connect to a different Wi-Fi network.
- Update your iPhone/iPad to latest iOS 11. (Don’t forget to check the most common iOS 11 issues and solutions.)
- Log out from iCloud and log back in: Settings > Your name, and tap Sign Out at the bottom.
- Restart your iPhone: Hold down the home button and the sleep/wake button together until the screen goes black and you see the Apple logo. (For iPhone 7 users, please press the home button and volume down button to make it.)
- Remove the previous iCloud backups for your iPhone: Go to Settings > Your name > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backup. Choose a backup, then tap on Delete Backup at the bottom.
If the above fixes not work, you can try backing up with iTunes. If you are unwilling to backup your iPhone in the old school way (neither with iCloud nor iTunes), there is still a option for you in the second part.
Also Read: How to View iCloud Backup Photos >
Part 2. An Alternative Way to Fix iPhone/iPad Won’t Backup Issue
Why won’t my iPhone still not backup to iCloud? What can I do? If the above methods are not working, we also offer you an iCloud alternative to backup iPhone/iPad/iPod with ease – with AnyTrans for iOS. It is an iOS content manager that helps backup, transfer and manager 28+ types of iOS data on iPhone/iPad/iPod.
- Make iTunes backup in just one click.
- Backup iPhone to computer over Wi-Fi.
- Upload data from iPhone to iCloud as backup.
- Lets you selectively backup data to iTunes, computer, iCloud.
- All the backup files are readable.
Steps to Make iTunes Backup
Download AnyTrans for iOS, install and launch it > Plug in your iPhone > Click Backup Manager > Click the Back Up Device button. You can check the backup files by clicking View.
Steps to Backup iPhone to Computer over Wi-Fi
Step 1. Download AnyTrans for iOS, install and open it > Connect your iPhone and computer to the same Wi-Fi.
Step 2. Choose Air Backup Manager tab > The Air Backup Preference is launched by default. If not, turn it on. You can also schedule Air Backup from one day to one month.
Steps to Backup iPhone Data Selectively
Step 1. Download AnyTrans for iOS, install and open it > Plug in your iPhone > Choose Device Manager > Go to category management screen and select one category. Here we choose Photos.
Step 2. Select the pictures you want to backup > Click Send to Mac/PC button to download them to computer, or click Upload to iCloud button to save them to iCloud.
Also Read: How to Backup iPhone to Computer >
The Bottom Line
If you have some better solutions to solve the iPhone won’t backup to iCloud issue, please share with us in the comment section. Meanwhile, don’t forget to download the free trial of AnyTrans for iOS to have a try now. You can contact us via email if you have any problems when using it.