How to backup and restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes? In this guide, we will offer you detailed tutorials about how to backup iPhone/iPad to iTunes and restore iPhone/iPad from iTunes (backup), you just need to follow us and perform on your iDevice.
Read this guide and learn how to backup and restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes, then download PhoneRescue - iOS data recovery to extract data from iTunes backup without restoring iDevice or erasing any data on your device.
Apple launched iTunes is a media program used to manage and play media, it can also connect to iTunes Store for users to purchase and download apps, music, movies and so on. However, the most amazing feature of iTunes is managing iOS data. With iTunes, you can backup iOS data on your iDevices and restore iDevices from iTunes backups.
For the new generation of iPhone, iPhone 8 and iPhone X are coming, many users may plan to upgrade to new iPhone. To transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone, most iOS user will using iTunes, backup their old iPhone in advance, then restore backups to new iPhone. To be honest, it works and also simple to finish. However, this method is not the best option because iTunes doesn’t allow you to selectively restore data from backup, and it will wipe the existing data on your new iPhone. So, besides show you the traditional method, this guide will show you an easier way. Let’s see in 3 parts.
Part 1. How to Backup iPhone/iPad with iTunes
To backup the information on iPhone iPad, the first thing is to make sure the computer has the latest version of iTunes. Then, follow these steps:
Step 1. Connect iOS device to computer > Open iTunes if doesn't pop up automatically > Click the iOS device name on the top right corner (beside the iTunes Store button).
Step 2. Tap "This computer" button > Choose "Back Up Now" on Backups column. (For encrypt backup, please skip step 2.)
How to Backup iPhone/iPad with iTunes - Step 2
Step 3. Tap "This Computer" button > Tick "Encrypt iPhone/iPad backup" to enter into password.
How to Backup iPhone/iPad with iTunes - Step 3
If you only want to backup data like Photo, Messages instead of all data on your iDevice, you may also try AnyTrans. How to Backup Only Part of iOS Data on iPhone to Computer >
Don't miss > How to Delete a Backup in iTunes?
Part 2. How to Restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes
This method is applying for restore the whole backup from iTunes to your iPhone and doesn’t support previewing data; moreover, it will wipe the previous data on your iPhone. If you prefer a smart way, preview data in backup and selectively restore some specific data, then you can go to Part 3.
Now, let’s see how to restore iPhone iPad with iTunes.
Step 1. Connect device to the computer in which there are iTunes backups > Launch iTunes > Click Summary on your left > Click Restore Backup.
How to Restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes - Step 1
Step 2. Choose a backup you want to restore from.
How to Restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes - Step 2
1. To restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes, please make sure that the destination device is newer than the backup device, because iTunes doesn't support backup to an older device than backup device.
2. Before restoring, please turn off Find My iPhone.
3. If you encounter iTunes backup corrupt or incompatible, please refer to Fix: iTunes Backup Corrupt or Incompatible Backup >
Part 3. How to Selectively Restore iPhone/iPad with PhoneRescue
If you want to selectively restore iPhone iPad from iTunes backup, then PhoneRescue is your ultimate choice. As a professional iOS & Android data recovery, it dedicates to help smartphone users to get back lost data without effort. PhoneRescue - iOS data recovery is especially for iOS users, it’s award winning for high-rate data recovery, as well as extract backup data smartly.
Now, download PhoneRescue (choose Download for iOS) and follow steps below to selectively restore your iPhone.
Step 1. Install PhoneRescue and launch it on your Mac or PC computer. Select Recover from iTunes Backup and click on the arrow button.
How to Selectively Restore iPhone/iPad with PhoneRescue -Step 1
1. If you want to restore data to your iOS device directly, you should connect your iPhone or iPad in advance.
2. Currently, Contacts, Call History, Messages, Voicemail, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Safari Bookmarks, Photos, App Audios, and App Videos can be recovered to iPhone directly; others can be recovered to computer. If you want to transfer recovered data to your new iPhone, you can use AnyTrans to make it with ease.
Step 2. Select a backup and tick the types of data you want to restore, if you want to scan all data, just tick Select All and click on OK.
How to Selectively Restore iPhone/iPad with PhoneRescue -Step 2
Step 3. Preview and select data you want to restore. Click Recover to Device or Recover to Computer button on the bottom right to start restoring selected data.
How to Selectively Restore iPhone/iPad with PhoneRescue -Step 3
Part 4. How to Extract Data from iTunes Backup with AnyTrans
If you want to put some data to new iPhone by restoring iTunes backup, besides the methods mentioned above, here recommend you a direct way - using AnyTrans.
AnyTrans is an all-in-one iOS data management and transfer tool, which dedicates to help iOS users manage and transfer iPhone iPad iPod data in an easy and smart way. Meanwhile, it also as an iTunes backup extractor, which can help you export data from iTunes backup without effort.
Step 1. Download and run AnyTrans on your computer > Click the button as we show, AnyTrans will auto detect the iTunes backup on your computer.
How to Extract Data from iTunes Backup with AnyTrans - Step 1
Step 2. Select a backup and view the detailed data.
How to Extract Data from iTunes Backup with AnyTrans - Step 2
Step 3. Select the files you want to extract and click on the To Computer button to export selected data from iTunes backup to computer.
How to Extract Data from iTunes Backup with AnyTrans - Step 3
1. After extracting data from iTunes backup to computer successfully. Then you can sync these data to your new iPhone by using iTunes or AnyTrans directly.
The Bottom Line
Above are how to backup iPhone/iPad to iTunes and restore iPhone/iPad from iTunes. If you have any questions about this article, please don't hesitate to leave comments below. By the way, for using your new iPhone X/8 in a better way, it is necessary for you to learn about some iPhone maintain tips & tricks, as well as some battery life saving tips. At last, don’t forget to try PhoneRescue - iOS data recovery!
More Upgrade to iPhone 8/X Related Articles:
- A Complete Guide to Upgrade to New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Back Up Old iPhone 4s/5s/6/6s/7/SE >
- How to Set Up and Activate New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Import SIM Contacts to iPhone 8/X >
- How to Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Transfer Data/Files from Android to New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Transfer Files from Computer to New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Sync iTunes Library with New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Restore iPhone 8/X from iCloud Backup >
- Top Tips & Tricks to Maintain New iPhone 8/X >
- How to Speed Up iPhone to Make It Run Faster >
- How to Save Battery Life on iPhone 8/X >
- How to Spare More Available Storage on iPhone 8/X >