Don’t know the correct and fast way on how to back up the iPhone? This guide will tell you how to backup iPhone to computer in 4 ways, you can choose the most efficient one according to your needs.
Backing up your iPhone regularly is a good habit. It can be a lifesaver if you accidentally lose important data. What’s more, every time the new iOS version released, it is recommended that to backup your iPhone before the update, because the data loss happens every year after updating to the newest iOS version.
iTunes program is not an alien to most of us, and it is the free and traditional way to back up an iPhone besides iCloud service (if you need to backup your iPhone to the cloud base). In this guide, we will show you step-by-step instructions on how to backup your iPhone with iTunes, iCloud, and an easy-to-handle iTunes alternative.
Before we start, we need to claim that this post is not only working for a specific iPhone model but also available for most iPhones and computers.
iTunes is the most common way to backup iOS devices, all you need is your computer and a USB cable. Here are the detailed steps of how to back up an iPhone to a computer with iTunes:
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your PC or Mac.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and run iTunes. Click the Device tab, and choose Summary.
3. Tap on Back Up Now, and iTunes will start backing up your iPhone to Mac/PC.
4. If you want to know whether the backup process completed successfully, just check the date and time below Latest Backup.
5. And your iTunes backup files can be found in Edit > Preferences > Device. (You are not allowed to view or access your iTunes backup files here.)
Further Reading: Top 7 Backup Software for iPhone/iPad >
If you want to selectively transfer important files from iPhone to the computer as a backup, like Contacts, Music, Text Messages, Photos, etc., then please refer to Part 3 to get the method.
1. iTunes gives you the ability to encrypt your iPhone backup, try to keep it in mind firmly. If you forgot the iTunes backup password, unfortunately, you’ll not be allowed to unlock your backup file.
2. The iTunes backup files are stored in your computer hard drive but are not readable. And as Apple said, an iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device’s data and settings. But notice that an iTunes backup doesn’t include:
Confused about the complicated features of iTunes and prefer to back up your iPhone with iCloud? You’ve come to the right place and we’ll show you detailed steps on how to backup iPhone via iCloud.
1. Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network.
2. Tap Settings > your iCloud account > iCloud. (If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud.)
3. Turn on iCloud Backup if it isn’t already turned on.
4. Tap Back Up Now and stay connected to your Wi-Fi network. (iCloud Backup will also occur when connected to power, locked, and on WLAN.)
5. After the backing up process, you can go to check the date and time below Back Up Now to ensure the backup is finished.
Your photos can take huge space on your iCloud storage while every iCloud account has only 5 GB of free storage. If you need more storage to backup iPhone data, then you’ll need to pay $0.99 for 50GB, $2.99 for 200GB, and $9.99 for 2TB per month. (If you purchased a 1TB monthly plan before June 5, 2017, then your account was automatically upgraded to a 2TB monthly plan.
AnyTrans is the all-purpose iOS file management tool: expand your control over your iOS data beyond what is normally possible, without jailbreaking your iDevice. It is regarded as the best iTunes alternative that does a great job of backing up, transferring, and managing data on your iDevice.
With AnyTrans, you can transfer photos from iPhone to the computer, music (even the non-purchased items), videos, ringtones, voice memos, voicemail, messages, contacts, notes, and more from iPhone to computer as a backup, and you can view the specific data anytime you like.
Free Download100% Clean & Safe
Free Download100% Clean & Safe
Free Download * 100% Clean & Safe
Now download AnyTrans to Windows or Mac. Launch AnyTrans on your computer and plug in your iPhone to it.
You can backup all iPhone content to the computer with a few clicks. After it is done, you can view your backup files in detail.
Click the Backup Manager button > Choose Back Up tab to back up all device data to your computer.
We take photos as an example. Click Device Manager > Photos > Camera Roll > Select the pictures you want to backup > Click the To PC tab on the right-hand corner.
Click the Content to PC button > Select files you need to backup from iPhone to computer > Set the destination on computer > Click Next button to start a transfer.
Besides the traditional method of backing up your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable, AnyTrans now also supports users to back up their devices via Wi-Fi. If you are tired of waiting for the computer to detect your iPhone/iPad/iPod, then try this method to release yourself from the cable.
The first time you try AnyTrans, please connect your device with the computer via USB cable. Once you have clicked the “Trust this computer” option to enable this function, you don’t need to use a USB cable anymore they are under the same WiFi in the future.
Step 1. Open AnyTrans on your computer. Connect your iPhone to it if it is the first time you try to connect your iPhone and the computer via the same WiFi.
Step 2. Click Backup Manager on the left-side menu, you will see the interface as below. Tab Back Up Now option to start backing up now.
Step 3. You can set up the backup preferences according to your needs. For example, you can change out your backup path by clicking Change Backup Path.
Step 4. Once all settings have been set up and your iPhone and computer are under the same Wi-Fi, AnyTrans will start to back up your device automatically. When the backup process is completed, you will see the following Backup Completed interface.
Step 5. Then you could check your backup files in the Backup History.
AnyTrans supports some new backup models – backup iPhone fully and selectively and restore backup now. Full backup supports users to back up all device data, while incremental backup enables you to only back up new data that is not in the existing backups, which would greatly save your computer storage. If you are interested in this backup model, just download AnyTrans and have a try.
It is obvious that AnyTrans meets all your needs on backing up an iPhone to the computer. It also helps transfer data between two iDevices, which allows you to move all data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone easily. Now start taking a tour >
Product-related questions? Contact Our Support Team to Get Quick Solution >