How to restore WhatsApp messages on new iPhone? This guide offers 5 methods to help you transfer WhatsApp messages from iPhone to iPhone.
When you update to a new iPhone, the first thing you want to do is transferring everything from the old iPhone to the new one. Or you just want to transfer some of them like WhatsApp messages. Here in this guide, we will show you a complete guide on how to restore WhatsApp messages on a new iPhone, from an old iPhone and Android phone.
Method 1. Using iCloud Drive
In the WhatsApp settings, there is a Chat Backup option available to help you back up your WhatsApp data to iCloud Drive, not just including the texts, but also the media files. So you can do this operation on the old iPhone, and then restore them on the new iPhone. But you must notice that we have said that this method backs up the data to the iCloud drive, so we need first to turn on the iCloud Drive option on both old iPhone and new iPhone, before doing this method.
1. Connect the iPhone to Wi-Fi network, and turn on iCloud Drive on the old iPhone.
2. Open WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Click on Back Up Now > Make sure the backup is performed finally.
Backup WhatsApp to iCloud
3. Connect the new iPhone to Wi-Fi network, and turn on iCloud Drive option.
4. Download and install the WhatsApp on the new iPhone > Sign in the account using the same phone number for backing up in the second step.
5. After verifying your phone number, follow the on-screen prompts to restore your chat history.
You need to log into the same Apple ID on both iPhones.
You can set Auto Backup on your new iPhone in case you may delete some important messages: Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Auto Backup > Choose “Daily, Weekly, Monthly” as per your needs.
2. Using iCloud Backup.
Just similar to the iCloud Drive way, we can also use iCloud Backup to finish this job.
1. Make an iCloud Backup on Old iPhone: Connect iPhone to Wi-Fi > Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup > Turn on iCloud Backup > Back Up Now > Make sure the backup is finished.
2. Restore iCloud Backup on New iPhone: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Restore your iPhone from Backup with Set Up Assistant.
You need to log into the same Apple ID on both iPhones.
3. Using iTunes Backup
We can also make an iTunes backup for the old iPhone, which can also contain the WhatsApp data, and then restore the backup to the new iPhone.
1. Make iTunes Backup with Old iPhone: Open iTunes > Connect the iPhone to computer > Click your device name > Summary > This computer > Back Up Now.
2. Restore iTunes Backup on new iPhone: Open iTunes > Connect new iPhone to computer > Click your device name > Summary > Click on Restore Backup.
Restore WhatsApp Messages from iTunes Backup
For the iCloud Backup and iTunes Backup, there is a high risk for your data on the new iPhone, if there is some. Both of them require resetting the new iPhone first, which means the data existed on the new iPhone would be erased. So normally, we prefer recommending another way to extract the backup data, without data erasing. Check the details in the following method.
4. Using iCloud Backup without Erasing
This method is mainly prepared for users who neither have made any backup in WhatsApp iCloud nor want to lose any existing data on the new iPhone.
To help you restore WhatsApp Messages from iCloud without erasing, you need to use some safe and trusted recovery tools like PhoneRescue for iOS, which allows you to view all WhatsApp messages in iCloud before restoring, then you can select one (ones) to restore to your iPhone. More importantly, there’s no data loss in the process of restoring.
Now you can follow us to have a look at how to restore WhatsApp messages on iPhone with PhoneRescue for iOS.
Step 1 Free Download PhoneRescue for iOS to your PC/Mac > Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable > Click on Recover from iCloud and the Right Arrow button on the down right corner.
Step 2Log in your iCloud account, and then select iCloud backup. You can also use PhoneRescue for iOS to download data that you have synced to iCloud.
Step 3Select one iCloud backup that contains your WhatsApp messages > Click Download and then checks the box of WhatsApp unchecks other boxes and click OK.
Step 4Then all your WhatsApp messages in the iCloud backup will be presented. Select the conversation you want to recover, click the To Computer to recover them to your computer.
If you have iTunes backup, just choose the Recover from iTunes Backup in the first Step.
If you have been using WhatsApp on an Android phone, but now plan to transfer to a new iPhone, how can we transfer the WhatsApp data to the new iPhone? Mostly, we can apply Google Drive to help us with it.
The WhatsApp on Android has a setting option which enables users to back up the WhatsApp to the Google Drive. And when the users sign in the same account on an iPhone, the app will ask whether restoring the backup. This is the logic. And here are the detailed steps.
Step 1Launch the WhatsApp app on your Android device. Then go to Settings Menus > Chats Settings Menus > Chat Backup. Tap on it to open your chat backup settings menu.
Step 2On the screen that follows, tap on the green button that says Back Up to start backing up your WhatsApp messages to Google Drive.
Step 3After the backup is created, uninstall the WhatsApp app on your Android device.
Step 4Install and launch the WhatsApp app on your iPhone. Set it up as you would using the same phone number you had on your Android device. It will prompt you to restore the backup from your Google Drive account. Allow it to do so.
There you go. Your WhatsApp data will be restored on your iPhone.
Product-related questions? Contact Our Support Team to Get Quick Solution >