Honestly, transferring data from iPhone to iPhone can happen often in daily life.
- When you plan to share the lovely photos taken by your iPhone and saved in your Camera Roll, to your iPhone friends, you need to work on it;
- When your old iPhone is shy on its storage, and you get another iPhone with much bigger storage, but the old one contains lots of your important and precious text messages, you need to work on it;
- When the Apple release the newest generation of iPhone, fascinating with so many great features, and you cannot wait to upgrade your old iPhone to it, you need to work on it.
There are so many situations where iPhone users need to transfer everything from iPhone to iPhone. But the real question is how can you do it. Often, iPhone users tend to ask for help from iTunes and iCloud. Truly, they can fix the issue of transferring data from one iPhone to another. But as many iOS users know that both the two ways have some annoying problems, such as data loss risk, complicated transfer steps, time-consuming, etc.
More than anything, iTunes and iCloud can’t back up all data on iPhone, not to mention transferring all data from iPhone to iPhone. Besides, you can’t check the files, or just selectively transfer messages, photos, files from iPhone to another via iTunes/iCloud.
Switching from Old iPhone to New iPhone
Even though iTunes and iCloud have so many shortcomings, mentioned above, we will still show you the detailed steps about how to transfer content from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes/iCloud, for the newbies; Besides, a perfect method is also going to list with detailed steps, to help you transfer data from iPhone to iPhone easily and smoothly.
Part 1. How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud/iTunes
The best way always goes first. To avoid iTunes/iCloud shortcomings, we would like to firstly show you an iTunes/iCloud alternative – AnyTrans for iOS, to help you transfer iPhone to iPhone, since it is fitted with the following top features:
- Without iTunes/iCloud. Supports transferring data from iPhone to iPhone directly without iTunes or iCloud. You don’t need to back up one iPhone, and then restore the whole backup to another iPhone, saving you from many troubles.
- Labor-saving. Just 1 click, it helps you transfer from iPhone to iPhone. No data loss risk, no complicated steps.
- Super fast transferring speed. According to the test, it only takes you 1 minute to transfer over 2000 photos and songs.
- Selectively transfer. Enables you to preview and select the files you prefer to transfer to your new iPhone.
- Widest coverage of files. Allows you to transfer 24+ types of iOS data from iPhone to iPhone, including Photos, Videos, Contacts, Messages, Notes, even some data that are not supported to be backed up via iTunes/iCloud, such as non-purchased music, ringtones, movies, etc.
- Guarantees you 100% Safe & Security. It is a totally green software. We can assure you that information leakage would never occur.
Now, Free Download AnyTrans for iOS and install it on your computer firstly, and then follow the steps below to transfer everything from iPhone to iPhone wholly or selectively.
Method 1. How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone Wholly
Step 1. Connect the two iPhones.
Install AnyTrans for iOS on your computer > Open it and Connect your iPhones to the computer via USB cables.
Step 2. Choose Clone Device or Merge Device as you prefer.
Clone Device – Suits for those users whose new iPhone is totally new, and doesn’t have any data on it. Clone Device will clone all the data and files from old iPhone to new iPhone. Here we take Clone Device for an example.
Merge Device – Suits for those users whose iPhone already has been used. Merge Device will transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone wholly, and the existing data on the new iPhone will also remain.
Step 3. Select the target device.
Select the target device you want to clone content to > Click button.
Step 4. Transfer iPhone to iPhone.
Select the file categories you want to transfer > click button to start transferring data from old iPhone to new iPhone.
When it comes to copying data from one iPhone to another iPhone, there is no doubt that Photos is one of the most critical data you want to migrate. Since iOS 11 and iPhone 7, Apple started using HEIC photos which is remarkably more efficient in terms of storage space and high quality to replace JPG for saving photos on iOS devices and Macs. However, this format is not yet widely compatible.
But, don’t worry, AnyTrans fully supports this image format. You can click the settings button to set it auto conversion or using a hassle-free HEIC to JPG converter to change these photos to JPG format on your computer.
Method 2. How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone Selectively
Install and run AnyTrans for iOS on your computer and connect both of your iPhones to it via USB cables.
Step 1. Choose the transfer mode.
Click the button to choose a specific category > Click on Device Manager. Here we will take transferring photos from Camera Roll for example.
Step 2. Select the file category you want to transfer.
Select Photos > Choose one album that contains the photos you want to transfer to your new iPhone.
Step 3. Transfer from iPhone to iPhone.
Select the photos you want to transfer and then click on To Device button to transfer the selected photos to your new iPhone.
- Before checking transferred photos in another iPhone, please click the fresh button as we show. Also, you can check them on your iPhone XS/XR/X/8/7/6s directly.
- These 2 methods also work for transferring other kinds of iOS data between two iPhones, in addition, you can use it to transfer data among all iPhones, iPads, iPods.
- If you have already made an iTunes or iCloud backup, it can help you extract data from the previous backups without performing full restoration on your iPhone. Moreover, no existing data on your iPhone will be erased.
If you just want to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone, you can refer to: How to Transfer Text Messages from iPhone to iPhone >
If you just want to sync contacts from iPhone to iPhone/iPad, you can read: How to Sync Contacts from iPhone to iPhone/iPad >
Part 2: Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone Using iTunes Backup (Unstable & Data Loss Risk)
Transfer data from one iPhone to another isn’t a mystery with iTunes. That’s because before iCloud featured on iOS 5, iTunes was the only way to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone. But the story changed as many products and services offer more straightforward and convenient iPhone to iPhone data transfer solutions, which may turn this tedious job into a simple process. But if you still prefer this iTunes way to transfer everything from one iPhone to another, you can make it with the following steps:
- Backup your old iPhone with iTunes firstly, if you haven’t: Open iTunes > Connect your old iPhone to the computer > Click Device tab > Click Summary > Click This Computer in Backups column > Click Back Up Now:
- Connect your another iPhone to the computer that you have backed up your old device in Step 1.
- Open iTunes on your computer and select the device tab.
- Select Restore Backup. Then choose a backup. Please make sure it’s the correct one by looking at the date and size of each, if you have more than one iTunes backup.
- If the backup file was encrypted, enter your password and unlock it when asked.
Wait for the restore process to finish, then complete the rest of the setup steps on your iOS device. Dozens of minutes probably will be needed. If possible, keep your device connected to an available Wi-Fi and in charge after setup, which allows photos, music, apps, and other contents stored in iCloud to automatically download back to your iPhone.
When transferring data from one iPhone to another with iTunes backup, all the content in the iTunes backup will be restored to the iPhone no matter whether you want to restore all of them or not; and some media files (like Apps, music, ringtones, movies, iBooks, etc.) won’t be transferred during this process. If you want to transfer all the contents to iPhone (even media files), and selectively, just the data items you want, you can move to Part 1 to make it.
Part 3: Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone Using iCloud (Slow & Blind Full Restore)
We notice that most of you are visiting this guide on iPhone or iPad, and you may want to find a method to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone without computer. To be honest, you indeed can transfer data from one iPhone to another without computer, but the only way is using iCloud backup and iCloud syncing.
However, it has several shortcomings like: takes you 30 to 60 minutes to make it; requires your Wi-Fi network is enough fast; you may lose important data during transferring; media files (like Films, Apps, Music, Ringtones, iBooks, etc.) can’t be transferred, etc. Therefore, we recommend you to transfer data from one iPhone to another with computer as Part 1 does, all the contents will be transferred to iPhone, and all the contents on both of your two iPhones will keep safe.
Step 1. Make a backup of your old iPhone if you haven’t made one in advance.
- For iPhones running with iOS 10 and later: go to Settings App > Tap on your Apple ID’s profile > Click iCloud > iCloud Backup > Click Back Up Now.
- For iPhones running with iOS 9 or older: go to Settings App > iCloud > Backup > Turn on “iCloud Backup” if it is closed > Tap on Back Up Now.
Step 2. Restore your another iPhone with the backup you made above: on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Erase iPhone > Set up your iPhone again > Select Restore from iCloud > Select the backup you just created.
Transferring data from one iPhone to another with iCloud syncing only supports several kinds of iOS data, like Photos (only Photo Stream), Email, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc. Other files like Photos not in Photo Stream, Messages, Music, Ringtones, Apps, are not on the supported list. If you want to transfer more iOS content to your iPhone 8/X/7/6s, please move to Part 1.
Before transferring everything from one iPhone to another with iCloud syncing, there are three things you need to know firstly:
- Both of your iPhones can be connected to Wi-Fi network.
- You need to log in the same Apple ID on both of your devices.
- You need to repeat the steps on both of your iPhones.
Step 1: On your iPhone, tap on Settings apps > Click your Apple ID’s profile > Select iCloud.
Step 2: Select the categories you want to transfer like, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, etc., and then tap on it to turn it on one by one. And then wait for the process to finish. How long this process will last depends on the size of the data you want to transfer to iPhone 6/6s/7/8/X/XS (Max)/XR and the speed of your network.
Part 4: Best iPhone to iPhone Transfer Solution – Comparison Chart
|AnyTrans for iOS||iTunes||iCloud Sync||iCloud Backup|
|Transfer Media Files|
|No Data Loss|
|No Internet Needed|
|No Apple ID limit|
The Bottom Line
With the help of the full guide on how to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone, you must have transferred everything you want on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. If this post works for you, please share it with the people around you. If you have any question, be free to message us by clicking the Chat Window in the bottom right corner. Download AnyTrans for iOS to Explore More Now >