It is very likely that you may meet a Software Update Failed error when download iOS 10, iOS 11 just as it is officially released. Read to learn how to avoid or fix this issue.
Download PhoneRescue to get back lost iOS data and repair your dead iOS device due to a failed recovery, iOS 10 upgrade error or jailbreak collapse.
It has been few months since the official release of iOS 10, and Apple continually released iOS 10/10.1/10.2/10.3.2 to improve performance. Now the brand new iOS 11 is also on the way to public. A great number of iPhone users rushed to download the span-new iOS 10 after Apple officially releases it. Those people are very likely to see "Software Update Failed" error, and it also happens now when we try to install iOS 10/iOS 11 over the air.
This unwelcome error is not new in iOS 10, and it is one of the most common issues when downloading new iOS version. On previous iOS 9 or iOS 8 update, and even the latest iOS 11, this error message has greeted many users when they trying to get the new iOS. There's good news, this article shows you how to resolve iOS 10/iOS 11 Software Update Failed error.
iOS 10 Software Update Failed Error
Also Read: How to Fix “Press Home to Upgrade” Issue >
How to Fix iOS 10/iOS 11 Software Update Failed Error on iPhone iPad
Now we will show you four options to solve the Software Update Failed error when upgrade to iOS 10/iOS 11 on your iPhone or iPad Over the Air. Hope one of them helps you on this issue.
Option 1: Close and Try Again
On the "Software Update Failed" pop-up, you will see two options: "Close" and "Settings". Tap on the "Close" button to exit this error message, and wait for few minutes, and then tap on "Download and Install" again. This time if it still stuck on that error screen, close it and try again.
Option 2: Wait for Few Hours
Although the new iOS is shiny and very attractive, you won't need to rush to the great mass fervor of downloading new iOS. Just wait for few hours and even several days, it will be much smoother to download iOS over the air. In the meanwhile, there are many things to do: back up your iDevice, reclaim enough storage space, or read iOS reviews online.
Option 3: Try Updating via iTunes
Because the "Software Update Failed" error seems to only happen to users who upgrade on iDevice directly, you can try upgrading to iOS 10/iOS 11 using iTunes on computer. We've heard many users successfully download new iOS on computer instead of OTA.
Option 4: For Advanced Users Only - Upgrade with IPSW File
This method is for advanced users who are familiar with firmware files and want to manually update to iOS 10/iOS 11 with IPSW file. This option can be the best way to bypass the "Software Update Failed" error message. Before you do this, remember to fully backup your iPhone.
- Download the correct IPSW file.
- Open iTunes, and connect your iPhone to computer.
- In the Summary, you should see the "Restore iPhone…" button.
- Hold down the Shift key and click on Restore iPhone….
- Select the downloaded IPSW file.
- The iTunes restore will install iOS 10/iOS 11 on your iDevice.
- Then, restore from the backup you just created to get all data back.
Option 5: Restart your Wi-Fi and make sure you have a strong and stable Internet connection.
Option 6: Reset your Network Settings by opening Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
Option 7: Reboot your iPhone or iPad.
New iOS upgrade is always accompanied with risk and various bugs, so we prepare you Three Ways to Recover Lost Data on iOS 10 Devices and How to Fix “iPhone iPad Data Lost/Disappeared” After iOS 11 Update in case of data lost due to iOS 10/iOS 11 upgrading.
More iOS 11 Upgrade Related Articles:
- How to Upgrade Your iPhone iPad iPod touch to iOS 11 >
- What Are New Features in iOS 11 >
- Should I Update to iOS 11 or Stick with iOS 10 >
- How to Install iOS 11 on iPhone iPad and iPod touch >
- The Most Common iOS 11 Problems and Solutions >
- How to Speed Up Old and Slow iOS 11 Devices >
- How to Free Up Space on iOS 11 Devices >
- How to Back Up iDevice for iOS 11 Upgrade >
- How to Recover Lost Data on iOS 11 Devices >
- How to Downgrade from iOS 11 to iOS 10 >