I plan to buy a brand-new iPhone XS. Meanwhile, I have an old iPhone 6S. And all my text messages remain in the old iPhone. Can I transfer text messages from old iPhone to new iPhone? Is it possible to transfer only messages instead of all files? Thanks for sharing.
When you get a new iPhone XS/XR/X, the first thing you need to do is to transfer data to new iPhone, and of course, the text messages or iMessages are always something you don’t want to leave behind. In this tutorial, we will share you some ways to transfer messages to new iPhone effortlessly.
Besides the traditional iCloud, iTunes ways, we will also show you the safest and simplest way to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone without iTunes/iCloud. Now, just refer to them and adopt one method catering to your needs most.
Method 1. How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud/iTunes
To transfer messages to new iPhone, certainly you can back up the old iPhone via iTunes or iCloud, and then restore your new iPhone from the backup. However, not only messages, all other data that you may don’t want anymore will also be transferred from old iPhone to your new iPhone. Additionally, there is also a great chance that you may suffer from the risk of data loss.
If you want to transfer only messages from iPhone to iPhone without data loss, and prefer a simpler and quicker way to do the task, here’s the way to go – AnyTrans for iOS. Why?
- Time-Saving & Labor-Saving. It makes the complicated transfer steps as plain as just 1 click, and transfers more than 1000 messages from iPhone to iPhone in 40 seconds.
- All Types of Messages. It is capable of transferring all messages, like text messages, iMessages, SMS, and messages attachments (photos, videos) etc.
- No Data Erasing Happens. Unlike iCloud or iTunes, AnyTrans for iOS will keep all of your data from loss and erasing during the whole process.
- Transfer to Mac/PC. You can also transfer your precious messages from iPhone to your PC/Mac computer in readable formats of .pdf, .html, .txt.
- More than Messages. Besides messages, you can selectively transfer other more than 20 iOS data types, such as contacts, songs, photos, notes, etc.
Now, Free download AnyTrans for iOS on your computer firstly, and follow the simple steps below to copy messages from iPhone to iPhone in minutes.
Step 1. Connect your two iPhones.
Launch AnyTrans for iOS > Connect your two iPhones to computer with USB cables. AnyTrans for iOS will detect the two devices automatically > Click “Merge Device” button.
Step 2. Choose the target device.
Make sure the transferring is correct by checking the target device (the right one). And then click “Next” on the right.
Step 3. Transfer messages to new iPhone.
Choose Message among various types of data, and click “Next” to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone.
Watch the video to learn how to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone.
The Merge function of AnyTrans for iOS will directly transfer messages, ringtones, music, bookmarks, notes, contacts and more from one iPhone to another without erasing existing data on the target device. It might take a while to finish this process: backup your device > merge data > sync data, please be patient and never unplug your device.
[Video Tutorial] How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone
AnyTrans for iOS – iPhone Messages Transfer
Part 2. How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud
For iPhone users, iCloud is the most convenient and most used cloud service to backup iPhone contents in case of any potential data loss. Except making iPhone backups, iCloud also can be used to transfer or move data from one iPhone to another. The messages, including text messages and iMessages are all included. Next, we will show you how to transfer text messages and iMessages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud backup.
Step 1 Connect both of your iPhones in charge and Wi-Fi connection.
Step 2 On your old iPhone: Go to Settings > Tap your Account Name at the top of the screen > Tap iCloud > Scroll down and tap iCloud Backup. (In iOS 10.3 or older versions, steps are: Tap Settings > iCloud > Backup, or Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.)
Step 3 Tap on Back Up Now option, then it will start backing up your iPhone, you just need to wait for it finishes.
Step 4 Take out your another iPhone. If it is a new one and hasn’t been activated, please set up and activate it firstly, till when asked tap Restore from iCloud Backup. Then tap Next > Enter your Apple ID and password > Select the backup you created above.
Step 5 If your another iPhone has already been used, you need to ease content and settings on your iPhone: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Erase iPhone > Set up and activate your iPhone again > Select Restore from iCloud Backup > Select the back you just created.
Step 6 Wait for the restoring process finishes, and all the messages on your old iPhone will be transferred to the new one.
1. Transferring messages from iPhone to iPhone highly depends on Wi-Fi connection. If your iPhones are under poor Wi-Fi connection, the transferring process may be quite time-consuming, or worse, the transferring process gets interrupted.
2. iCloud restoring process involves erasing all exist contents from your new iPhone. That’s to say, if there are some data on your new iPhone, data loss will occur during transferring.
3. Besides messages, all other unwanted contents like contacts, settings will also be transferred to your new iPhone.
4. To avoid any data loss and inconveniences that transferring messages from iPhone to iPhone might cause you, we sincerely suggest you jumping to Method 1 for a much safer and more practical option to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone.
Part 3: How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud Syncing (iOS 12)
Besides, since iOS 11.4 released, Apple has already brought back the Message in iCloud feature. This feature enables users to share messages across different devices. So you can also apply this feature to transfer messages from old iPhone to new iPhone. But this feature is only for iMessages, and works on devices running with iOS 11.4 or later.
Step 1 On one iPhone, go to Settings > Click the account name > Choose iCloud.
Step 2 Scroll down to locate Messages > Toggle it on if it is not, then all iMessages on it will be synced to iCloud.
Step 3 On another iPhone, do the same as above. And then both devices will share all the iMessages.
1. This method is only works for those whose two iPhones are running iOS 11.4 or later.
2. With this method, only the iMessages can be synced to another iPhone. In other words, the messages sent by other iPhone users can be moved, if some of your friends or family working with Android devices, their messages won’t be moved.
3. If you want to move all the messages on your iPhone, including iMessages, text messages and other messages sent by Android or blackberry phone, move to Method 1 to make it.
Method 4: How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes
The last way we would like to share is the traditional iTunes way. It is also worth reminding that this way will be a full restore, and all files on your new device will be replaced by the files in the iTunes backup. You can’t restore only Messages via this way. If you only want to transfer messages to your new iPhone, then Method 1 can help you make it.
To transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes, you need to back up messages from the old iPhone, and then restore your messages to the target iPhone.
Step 1 Connect your old iPhone to your computer via USB cable > Launch the iTunes app on your computer. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
Step 2 Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes > Click on Back Up Now option to back up your old iPhone.
Step 3 After the process completes, you can see if the backup finished successfully on the Summary screen in iTunes.
Step 4 Open your new iPhone and reach to the App & Data screen > Tap on Restore from iTunes Backup. If you already set up your new device, you need to erase it firstly.
Step 5 Connect your new iPhone to your computer with USB cable > Open iTunes on your computer and select your device.
Step 6 Click on Restore Backup option > Choose the backup contains the messages you want to transfer.
The Bottom Line
By comparison, Method 1 with AnyTrans for iOS is obviously much more easier to help you with transferring messages from iPhone to iPhone. Besides, it supports all messages, not just iMessages. And other iOS contents like, photos, videos, music, contacts, etc., also can be transferred to new iPhone. Download AnyTrans to transfer data to new iPhone Now >