The new iPhone always catch people’s attention, especially those who can’t wait to upgrade their device to the latest one. It is awesome to upgrade to the new iPhone 8 or latest iPhone X/XR/XS (Max), but transferring contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone is a very tiresome business. Unlike Android phones whose users can easily transfer contacts from the old one to the new one by inserting the SIM card with contacts to a new device, iPhone iPad iPod touch doesn’t allow users to backup contacts to SIM, and contacts have to be stored in the iPhone’s memory.
This makes people searching online to find ways to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone or another iDevice. Frankly, when it comes to transferring contacts from iPhone to iPhone or another iDevice like iPad or iPod touch, iCloud and iTunes are the most familiar ways for us. However, since transferring data with iTunes and iCloud have so many limitations, like can’t restore only contacts, blind full restore, complicated process, data loss risk, etc. plenty of iOS users are seeking for other ways to complete the job.
Therefore, in this guide, before showing you how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone via iTunes/iCloud, we will first show you one way that is safer, simpler and quicker to transfer contacts from one iPhone to another. Just keep reading and choose one way that suits you most.
Part 1. How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud/iTunes
If you prefer a simpler and quicker way to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone without any data loss, then you have to ask for outside help like AnyTrans for iOS. As one of the best iOS data management tool, it can help you make a smooth upgrade to new iPhone. When syncing contacts from iPhone to iPhone, AnyTrans is fitted with these top features:
- 1 Click Transfer. Transferring contacts from iPhone to iPhone directly, in just 1 click.
- Time-Saving. According to test, it transfers more than 3000 contacts within 23 SECONDS.
- Selectively Transfer. Offers you enough flexibility to transfer contacts, you can choose to transfer a single piece of contact or all the contacts from one iPhone to another.
- No Data Loss Happens, No Full Restore. Unlike iCloud or iTunes, it not only allows you to transfer only contacts, but keeps all of your data safe during the whole process.
It supports all iPhone models, from old iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/5c/6/6s/SE/7/8 to new iPhone X/XR/XS (Max). Now, Free Download AnyTrans for iOS on your computer, and then follow the steps below to move contacts from iPhone to iPhone with ease.
Step 1. Connect your two iPhones.
Run AnyTrans for iOS on your computer, and then connect your two iPhones to your computer with their USB cables. Scroll down to access the category management page.
Step 2. Select the contacts you want to transfer.
Click the old iPhone tab and select Contacts on the homepage to transfer.
Step 3. Transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone.
Choose the contacts you want to transfer and click the To Device button on the upper right corner to transfer the selected contacts to your new iPhone.
Watch the videos to see how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone.
If you have needs of transferring contacts from iPhone to Mac/PC, from computer to iPhone, from iPhone to iTunes, it also helps you make it easily.
Part 2. How to Transfer Contacts to iPhone to iPhone with iCloud
To transfer contacts from one iPhone to another with iCloud, normally, you have two ways to make it. One is with iCloud syncing, and the other one is with iCloud backup. Here we will show you how to transfer contacts to new iPhone with the two methods.
Method 1: Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud Syncing
This way is the most common way to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone. All you need to do is following us with the steps below:
- Connect both of your iPhones to the Wi-Fi network > Log in the same Apple ID on your two iPhones.
- Go to Settings > Tap on your Apple ID’s profile part > Click iCloud > Select Contacts > Tap on it to turn it on.
- Select Merge when it says, “What would you like to do with existing local contacts on your iPhone”.
- Wait for the contacts on old iPhone syncing to new iPhone.
How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud
1. If you haven’t synced the contacts to iCloud on old iPhone, you need to sync them first:
For iPhones running with iOS 9 or older: go to Settings App > iCloud> Contacts > Turn it on if it is closed.
For iPhones running with iOS 10 or later: go to Settings App > Tap on your Apple ID’s profile part > Choose iCloud > Select Contacts > Tap on it to turn it on if it closed.
2. With iCloud syncing, you can’t select what to transfer or not, or you may find not all your contacts are synced to new iPhone, and some contacts disappeared. If you just want to transfer some contacts instead of all the contacts on iDevice, or want to transfer all contacts to new iPhone without losing any existing data, move to Part 1 to get another method.
Method 2: Transfer Contacts to New iPhone with iCloud Backup
If you want to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud backup, you can follow the steps below:
- Make a backup of your old iPhone: Settings > iCloud > Backup > Turn on “iCloud Backup” if it is closed > Tap on Back Up Now.
- Restore your new iPhone with old iCloud backup: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Erase iPhone > Set up the iPhone until you access the Apps & Data screen and choose to Restore from iCloud > Select the backup you just created.
Part 3. How to Transfer Contacts to New iPhone with iTunes
It will erase the existed contacts on the new iPhone and replace them with your old iPhone contacts. If you want to keep all your contacts safe, please move to Part 1 to get the solution.
Except for using iCloud to sync contacts from iPhone to iPhone, you also can make it with iTunes. Next, we will show you how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes.
- Connect your old iPhone to computer and open the iTunes (the latest version).
- Choose your iPhone and click Info, and then select Sync Contacts option, click Apply to sync your iPhone as well as the contacts with your computer.
- After the sync, unplug your old iPhone and plug in your new iPhone.
- Choose your new iPhone in iTunes and click Info to make sure that the Sync Contacts option is checked.
- Scroll down to the Advanced menu and check Contacts under Replace information on this iPhone. Finally, click Apply to sync contacts to your new iPhone.
The most magical trick to speed up your PC is to migrate OS from HDD to SSD. Although moving Windows to an SSD is not an easy task, AOMEI Backupper Standard helps you remove the hassle in minutes. And check this guide to learn how to transfer Windows 10 from HDD to SSD >
The Bottom Line
That’s all about how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone. As you can see, if you prefer a quicker way to make it, then AnyTrans for iOS is a better choice, lets you just transfer needed contacts directly. And if you also want to transfer other data, it also can help you finish the job. Just give it a try by yourself!