How to Fix iTunes Cannot Backup iPhone iPad Because an Error Occurred
If you see the error message when backup your iPhone to iTunes: iTunes could not backup the iPhone because of an error occurred, you can get some solutions in this guide.
If you also facing the problem of iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred, then, you can refer to this guide:
Question: I’m trying to backup my iPhone before upgrading to iOS 11. Right now it’s running iOS 10. After pressing ‘Back Up Now’ button in iTunes I’m getting this error message: ‘iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred’.
— A User from Ask Different
Most of us rely on iTunes to backup our iPhone, iPad or iPod for it saves the backup file on computer so we won’t worry about data losing by accident or mistaken deletion. However, iTunes is a huge and complicated program to run and we may bump into some error message like: iTunes could not back up the iPhone (iPhone name) because an error occurred. And sometimes, you may just see the “Back Up Now” is greyed out, and even get nothing prompts.
iTunes Could Not Back Up the iPhone Because an Error Occurred
So, if you do happen to run into an iTunes backup failure like the above user, try the following solutions to fix this problem of iTunes could not backup the iPhone. Or just have a try on an iTunes alternative to successfully backup your iPhone/iPad/iPod in an easy way.
Also Read: How to Fix iTunes Invalid Response Error >
Part 1. How to Fix iTunes Cannot Backup iPhone Because an Error Occurred
When you meeting the messages of “iTunes could not backup the iPhone because an error occurred”, you can try following solutions to see if they’re work for you.
1. Restart your computer (Mac or PC) and iOS device (iPad, iPhone and iPod touch).
2. Quit iTunes and re-launch it to backup again.
3. Make sure you are using Apple matched USB cable or lighting port.
4. Delete corrupted backups. Launch iTunes > iTunes > Preferences > Devices > Delete Backup.
5. Install latest version of iTunes (12.7).
6. Make sure you have at least 5 GB space on computer because iOS backups requires at least 2 to 3 GB free spaces.
7. Clear temporary files with MacClean like apps.
8. Rename backup files. To locate the iTunes & iOS backup files on your computer you can refer to this quick guide.
9. Manually delete backup files from AppData/roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/backup.
10. Find and delete the null named apps (empty app name or blank icon) on your iPhone: Settings > General > Usages > Manage Storage. Then trying backup with iTunes again.
Part 2. Fix iTunes Could Not Back Up the iPhone with an iTunes Alternative
If the above solutions not working for you, while, an iTunes alternative – AnyTrans for iOS can help you backup your iPhone iPad or iPod in an easy way.
- It enables you to backup your iPhone iPad and iPod to iTunes library with ease, just like iTunes make for you. That is to say, if you make a backup with AnyTrans for iOS, it can also be detected in iTunes.
- Besides backing up like iTunes do, it also allows you to selectively backup data to computer. Which means that you can only choose one or more specific types of data like photos, videos, contacts, messages, etc. to back up to computer in viewable format.
- In addition, you can use it to sync data from computer to iDevices, as well as sync data from iOS device back to computer, which is iTunes can’t do for you.
- More than anything, it brings you more convenience, which can help you manage and transfer all iOS content in an easy and smart way, supports all iPhones iPads and iPods, and works well with Mac and PC computer.
Now, download AnyTrans for iOS and follow us to backup your iPhone with ease.
1. Make an iTunes backup with AnyTrans for iOS
Step 1. Launch AnyTrans for iOS and connect your iPhone. Click on the Backup Manager as we show. You can see it detect all the backups on this computer. Then, click on the icon to start making a new backup for your iPhone now.
Fix iTunes Could Not Back Up the iPhone – Step 1
Note: Before starting backup, you can click the gear button to set the Backup path by yourself.
Step 2. Waiting for the backing up process. The time depends on the Internet speed and the size of the data on your iPhone.
Fix iTunes Could Not Back Up the iPhone – Step 2
Step 3. Once the backing up process is completed, you will see the Completed Page. After that, you can click “View” button to locate and preview data in backup directly, which is not be allowed by iTunes.
Fix iTunes Could Not Back Up the iPhone – Step 3
Note: As you can see from step 3, you can also use it to manage and delete old backups.
Meanwhile, you can open iTunes, connect your iPhone, and check the backup just made with AnyTrans for iOS.
Check the Backup in iTunes
2. Back Up Selected Files to Computer
If you want to selectively backup iPhone data to computer rather than make a whole iTunes backup, you can click “Device Manager” and go to the category page, select the data you really want to make a backup, and click To Computer button to transfer selected data to computer for preservation.
Selectively Backup Your iPhone with AnyTrans for iOS
3. Back Up Music/Videos and More to iTunes Library
Besides, you can also backup music, videos and more from iPhone to iTunes Library directly. Here take music for example. On the category page of AnyTrans for iOS, click on Audio and select music, then select the songs you want to backup to iTunes library, and click on the Send to iTunes icon.
Backup Music and More from iPhone to iTunes Library
The Bottom Line
After reading this guide about how to fix iTunes could not backup the iPhone because an error occurred, hope your problem already fixed. If you feel this article is helpful, you can share it to help more people having the same issue with you. By the way, as you can see from above, AnyTrans for iOS makes your life easy. Even in the latest iTunes 12.7, there is no Tone tab any more, but you can still use it to add ringtones to iPhone without effort. And more amazing functions, it’s worth having a try on AnyTrans for iOS.