How to Fix iTunes Sync Error -54
Your iPod/iPad/iPhone cannot be synced with iTunes, an unknown error (-54) occurred? Don’t worry! Read this post to know what is iTunes error (-54) and how to fix it.
Download AnyTrans to transfer 20+ types of files between iOS devices and computer/iTunes without data erasing – support iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.
iTunes Sync Error 54: "The iPhone 7 cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54)"
When using iTunes to backup, restore or sync your iPhone iPad, you may face a lot of issues, such as iTunes error 14, 50, 39 and 54. When syncing songs/pictures or something on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iTunes, you may encounter this iTunes sync error (-54) problem that stop you from transferring.
You May Like: iTunes Won’t Sync After iOS 9/10 Update – How to Fix
You may have tried many methods online to fix this iTunes sync error, such as updating iTunes to latest version and upgrading iPhone/iPad to the newest iOS operating system. However, the "iTunes sync error 54" still can’t be fixed.
About iTunes Sync Error (-54)
This sync error 54 is one common iTunes problem people may face when updating PC to a new Windows operating system.
And most of people think this iTunes sync error is related to authorization and administration issues - computer doesn’t permit unauthorized users to sync some data to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. You may be the person who has no permission to modify or move the data, and the data you want to sync may be the "iTunes" folder or just some files (such as songs, pictures and movies).
How to Fix Unknown Error (-54) about iPhone/iPad/iPod Cannot Be Synced
Sometimes fixing your iTunes sync error (-54) seems a little difficult because it is hard to find which files cause this problem. In this case, you have to sync separately to find what kind of data you can’t sync. For example, you can sync only songs to iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 to check whether the music files cause this unknown error (-54).
Of course, there are some common tips you can try to fix this error:
- Update your iTunes to latest version, now the latest version is iTunes 12.6.2.
- Upgrade iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to latest iOS operating system. Now you can update to iOS 10.3.3. (The iOS 11 will come out soon, you can update to it when it is available.)
- Authorize computer in iTunes.
Open iTunes > Choose "Store" on iTunes menu and authorize your computer.
- Change permissions of your "iTunes" folder or original files/folder.
You can find the originals that you want to transfer to iOS device and change permission. iMore give us one example to change "Read Only" permission of "iTunes folder" to fix iTunes sync error (-54) on Window 10:
Open Windows Explorer > Go to "Music" folder > Right Click "iTunes" folder > Properties > Uncheck "Read Only".
- Run iTunes in administrative mode.
Sign in to Windows as an administrator > Right click iTunes icon > Select "Properties" > Select "Compatibility" > Check to run as administrator.
- (For Windows iTunes users) Install all available Windows update service packs. iTunes sync error may be caused by incompatible driver on your windows pc.
- Use an iTunes alternative
After trying solutions mentioned, if your iPhone still cannot be synced due to unknown error occurred (-54), you can try some iTunes alternative, like AnyTrans. As one of the best iTunes alternatives, AnyTrans allows you to transfer media files (like Music, Playlists, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U, Audiobooks, Voice Memos, Apps, Ringtones, etc.), and won’t erase the existing data on your iPhone iPad. Click Here to Download AnyTrans >
iTunes Alternative - Fix iTunes Sync Error (-54 )
- Download one registry repair tool to clean all of your PC’s registry errors. Windows computer registry errors may cause the error (-54) that some files cannot be accessed and transferred from computer to another device.
Here we also list you other iTunes syncing problems and solutions:
Top Posts on Switching Android Phone to iPhone:
4 Tips to Switch to iPhone from Android > By Lena. July 25th, 2017
Transfer Music from Android to iPhone >By Joy. July 25th, 2017
Transfer Contacts from Android to iPhone > By Tom, April 27th, 2017
2 Ways to Move Android Photos to iPhone > By Joy, April 26th, 2017
Transfer Messages from Android to iPhone > By Lena. March 28th, 2017
Transfer Videos from Android to iPhone > By Lena, April 27th, 2017
Transfer All Android Data & Files to iPhone > By Lena, April 28th, 2017
More Related Articles You May Like
- How to Transfer Playlists from iTunes to iPhone – This post tells you how to easily transfer playlists from iTunes library to iPhone. Read More >>
- The Most Most Annoying iTunes 12 Sync Issues – This article shows you iTunes 12 sync issues you may meet and provides solutions. Read More >>
- iTunes Cannot Transfer Video to iPhone/iPad – Want to transfer videos to your iPhone/iPad but iTunes failed to your iDevices. Read More >>
- Quick Fix iTunes Restore Problem - Not Enough Space – iTunes could not restore iPhone because not enough space to restore? Read More >>