How to Fix iTunes Sync Error -54
Your iPod/iPad/iPhone cannot be synced with iTunes, an unknown error (-54) occurred? Don’t worry! Read this post to know what is iTunes error (-54) and how to fix it.
Download AnyTrans for iOS to transfer 20+ types of files between iOS devices and computer/iTunes without data erasing – support iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.
iTunes Sync Error 54: “The iPhone 7 cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54)”
When using iTunes to backup, restore or sync your iPhone iPad, you may face a lot of issues, such as iTunes error 14, 50, 39 and 54. When syncing songs/pictures or something on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iTunes, you may encounter this iTunes sync error (-54) problem that stop you from transferring.
You may have tried many methods online to fix this iTunes sync error, such as updating iTunes to latest version and upgrading iPhone/iPad to the newest iOS operating system. However, the “iTunes sync error 54” still can’t be fixed.
About iTunes Sync Error (-54)
This sync error 54 is one common iTunes problem people may face when updating PC to a new Windows operating system.
And most of people think this iTunes sync error is related to authorization and administration issues – computer doesn’t permit unauthorized users to sync some data to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. You may be the person who has no permission to modify or move the data, and the data you want to sync may be the “iTunes” folder or just some files (such as songs, pictures and movies).
How to Fix Unknown Error (-54) about iPhone/iPad/iPod Cannot Be Synced
Sometimes fixing your iTunes sync error (-54) seems a little difficult because it is hard to find which files cause this problem. In this case, you have to sync separately to find what kind of data you can’t sync. For example, you can sync only songs to iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 to check whether the music files cause this unknown error (-54).
Of course, there are some common tips you can try to fix this error:
1. Update your iTunes to the latest version, now the latest version is iTunes 12.7.
2. Upgrade iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to latest iOS operating system. Now you can update to iOS 11.2.
3. Authorize computer in iTunes.
Open iTunes > Choose “Store” on iTunes menu and authorize your computer.
4. Change permissions of your “iTunes” folder or original files/folder.
You can find the originals that you want to transfer to iOS device and change permission. iMore give us one example to change “Read Only” permission of “iTunes folder” to fix iTunes sync error (-54) on Window 10:
Open Windows Explorer > Go to “Music” folder > Right Click “iTunes” folder > Properties > Uncheck “Read Only”.
5. Run iTunes in administrative mode.
Sign in to Windows as an administrator > Right click iTunes icon > Select “Properties” > Select “Compatibility” > Check to run as administrator.
6. (For Windows iTunes users) Install all available Windows update service packs. iTunes sync error may be caused by incompatible driver on your windows pc.
7. Use an iTunes alternative.
After trying solutions mentioned, if your iPhone still cannot be synced due to unknown error occurred (-54), you can try some iTunes alternative, like AnyTrans for iOS. It allows you to sync data between iPhone and iTunes without effort.
- It will extract and list all your iTunes library files, including Music, Playlists, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U, Audiobooks, Voice Memos, Apps, Ringtones, etc.
- It lets you sync selected files from iTunes to iPhone and it will not erase any existed data.
- It also enables you to transfer iPhone data to iTunes, which iTunes cannot make it.
How about give it a free try? Click here to download AnyTrans for iOS and follow the steps bellow to sync data from iTunes to iPhone:
Open AnyTrans for iOS > Plug in your iPhone > Go to iTunes Library > Choose the data you want to sync like music > Select the songs you need > Click Send to Device button to start.
Once the transferring process is completed, you will see Transfer Completed Page. Then you can check the songs on your iPhone.
8. Download one registry repair tool to clean all of your PC’s registry errors. Windows computer registry errors may cause the error (-54) that some files cannot be accessed and transferred from computer to another device.
Here we also list you other iTunes syncing problems and solutions: