Q: Today, I was unable to text anyone and I decided to turn off my phone for a while. Once I switched it on, my iPhone deleted all my texts. Why did my iPhone delete all my messages? What’s wrong with it, and is there any way to retrieve my lost messages? iPhone 7 with iOS 11.4.
– A User from Apple Support Community
As an iPhone user, you should know that you may lose all of your messages due to some reasons, such as iOS upgrade, accidental deletion, device failure, etc. However, some users also say that they did nothing, but the message deleted itself on their iPhone and why? Here in this guide, to help you remove the doubt, we will tell you why iPhone deleted all messages and also the method to get them back.
Why Do My Messages Get Deleted on My iPhone?
There are quite a few operations that can cause iPhone deleted all messages:
- OS bug. This seems the most possible reason why iPhone deleted all messages, based on the information and feedback from our users and many other users on the forums. Most of them have noticed that they lost their messages just after restarting the iPhone.
- iOS update. Many users find data lost after updating to new iOS version.
- Restore from a wrong backup. You may restore your iPhone from a wrong iTunes/iCloud backup.
- Synced with iTunes. Messages may disappear for the wrong operation during the sync.
- Incorrect settings. You may choose to keep messages in 30 days or 1 year instead of forever. You can go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages to have a check. If it is not Forever, it is the reason that iPhone deleted all messages. And please set the option to Forever, please, in case you will lose your messages due to this reason again.
These are pretty much most of the possible reasons why iPhone deleted all messages. If you are not in one of such situations, please give us a hit in the comments. Anyway, what the most important and urgent job we need to do is about how to find the missing messages and get them back, right? And in the following content, we will share you all the possible ways to help you.
Fix iPhone Deleted All Messages with iTunes/iCloud Backup Restoring
If you have backed up your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, this issue would become much easier. Because we can directly restore the iPhone from the iTunes backup or iCloud backup.
However, before we get started with the detailed steps about this way, we would like to notify you that it requires to erase your iPhone and the data on your device will be replaced by the data in the backup. In other words, you are getting back deleted messages at the cost of losing all the current data on your device.
And if you have known what such risk means to you and this way is still on your list, here we go with the steps. While if you do not like this way and are concerned about your data safety, you can jump this part to the next method.
iTunes Backup Restoring
1. Connect your iPhone with the computer you usually sync it with and open iTunes.
2. When your iPhone appears in iTunes, click the Summary option.
3. Click the Restore Backup option. If this option is grayed out, you may need to change your backup preferences from iCloud to Computer. You can always change this back after you have restored your iPhone.
4. This process can take a while. Wait for its finishing, and then you will see the missing contacts in your Contact app again.
iCloud Backup Restoring
1. Reset your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
2. Set up your iPhone. Follow the onscreen setup steps until you reach the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup > Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID > Choose the backup you want.
3. Wait for the process of completing. Stay connected and wait for a progress bar to appear and complete. Depending on the size of the backup and the network speed, the progress bar might need a few minutes to an hour to complete. If you disconnect from Wi-Fi too soon, the progress will pause until you reconnect.
Fix iPhone Deleted All Messages without Data Erasing
For this method, it is about one professional iPhone data recovery tool – PhoneRescue for iOS. It offers 3 methods to recover deleted messages: on iPhone/iPad directly, from iTunes backup and from iCloud backup. Let you preview and selectively recover the needed messages instead of restoring your device.
- Allows you to view iTunes/iCloud backup and export the messages you need, without erasing.
- Enables you to recover the deleted messages to iPhone Messages app. Or save them to the computer in HTML or text format.
- Supports all the kinds of messages, like text messages, SMS messages, MMS messages, iMessages, and attachment.
- Besides, it can also fix the “iPhone deleted all messages” issue by scanning and recovering deleted messages from your iPhone directly, even you have no backups.
Step 1Free Download PhoneRescue for iOS on your computer firstly. Install and run it. You can connect your iPhone if you want to recover deleted messages to your device. After that, click “Recover from iTunes Backup” and go to “Next”.
Recover Deleted iPhone Messages from iTunes Backup – Step 1
Step 2Select a backup and click the arrow button.
Recover Deleted iPhone Messages from iTunes Backup – Step 2
Step 3Select Messages, and click on OK to scan.
Recover Deleted iPhone Messages from iTunes Backup – Step 3
Step 4You can select any items to recover to your device or extract to your computer.
Recover Deleted iPhone Messages from iTunes Backup – Step 4
These are all the detailed steps about how to use PhoneRescue to recover deleted iPhone messages from iTunes backup. And if you have backed up your iPhone to iCloud, just choose the Recover from iCloud option, and then you will find what you are looking for.
Fix iPhone Deleted All Messages without Backups
If you have no backups, luckily, as we have mentioned, the PhoneRescue is also good at recovering deleted iPhone messages from the iPhone device directly.
Step 1 Download Free Trial PhoneRescue for iOS on your computer > Launch it > Connect your iPhone to the computer (PC or Mac) with its USB cable, select Recover from iOS Device and click the arrow button.
Quick Fix “iPhone Deleted All Messages” – Step 1
Step 2Only select Messages and click on OK to let it scan this kind of data.
Quick Fix “iPhone Deleted All Messages” – Step 2
Step 3Preview and select the messages you want to recover and click the Recover button at the bottom right corner to put them back to your device or to your computer.
Quick Fix “iPhone Deleted All Messages” – Step 3
The Bottom Line
That’s all for “why did all my messages delete on my iPhone” and the methods to recover the deleted messages. Just like you see, it is not difficult to recover the messages on the iPhone with the help of PhoneRescue for iOS. Besides recovering messages, it also supports recover photos, videos, notes, reminders, call history, etc. Just give it a try now! And if you have any problem about PhoneRescue for iOS or this post, please leave a comment in the comment section below.